POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First example of my HF macros : First example of my HF macros Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  First example of my HF macros
From: Hugo
Date: 7 Mar 2002 09:00:55
Message: <3c877297@news.povray.org>
Hi POV'ers!

Here's an example of my macros so far. The left object is POV primitives.
The right object is a traced and blurred heightfield, done with my macros.
The reason why it looks a bit stretched in the Y direction is a bug, but I
planned it as an effect anyway (that you can turn off).

I think the quality is fair, given the grid is only 64*64. The macros are
very easy to use. They don't require the same math knowledge as isosurfaces.
I know this will please some.  :o)  But they're limited to making
heightfields. There will usually be some artifacts compared to your original
object, but it's not necessarely going to look bad.

I haven't yet programmed cylindrical heightfields, because I'm confused over
function {}.. I think the best is to have the user specify a function for
this, but Pov complains when I try to get it into my vertex position loops.

Parsing is a bit slow while the mesh is being build.. The attached image
needed 40 seconds to parse on my 1 ghz computer, but the resulting mesh2 can
be saved & loaded in all your future scenes, and then it will be very fast.

I'll release the macros soon. I don't know how useful you think this is, but
in some cases I think, I can use it myself.. I also tried to code in a clean
way so other people can add to it..

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message